Soweto Gospel Choir is a South African gospel group formed in 2002. The music group consists of over 30 members and is one of the most influential ensembles in the African entertainment industry.
Here are some interesting details about the choir, including its history and various facts about its members.
Who owns the Soweto Gospel Choir? The group was formed in 2002 by conductors David Mulovhedzi and Beverly Bryer.
The group gained international fame for their fusion of Afro Gospel, traditional hymns, Jamaican reggae and American pop to create incredible South African gospel music that many people can relate to.
What languages ââdoes the Soweto Gospel Choir sing in?
The choir sings in English and eight South African languages, including Xhosa.
Who is the founder of the Soweto Gospel Choir?
David Mulovhedzi and Beverly Bryer formed the group.
Members of the Soweto Gospel Choir
Somizi Mhlongo and more receive nominations for Feather Awards
The members of the choir are:
- Anele Bizane
- Matchepo Chapole
- Nombuhle Dlamini
- Sibusiso DubÃ©
- Shimmy Jiyane
- Mlungiseleni Jones
- George kaudi
- Katlego khasela
- Bongani Khumalo
- Thembisa, Khuzwayo
- Bongani mabaso
- Warren Mahlangu
- Lebo Mahlatji
- Sibongile Makgathe
- Victor makhathini
- Cecelia Manyana
- Thuli mazibuko
- Gugu Mbongwa
- Lukas mello
- Thabang Mkhwanazi
- Sophie mofokeng
- Thabiso MolefÃ©
- Semangele Mongatane
- Phumlani Msibi
- Hlengiwe Msomi
- Lungi mhlongo
- Mandla modawu
- Ipi Moshe
- Ori msimango
- Marie Mulovhedzi
- Mulalo Mulovhedzi
- Maserame Ndindwa
- Milton Ndlakuse
- Sipho, Ngcamu
- Phumla nkhumeleni
- Clarissa nchabeng
- Zanele Ngcamu
- Duduzile Ngomane
- Zanele Ngwenya
- Sipokazi Nxumalo
- Linda Nxumalo
- Jeffrey Nzuza
- Linda sambo
- Mazwe Shabalala
- Surprise Sidumo
- Portia Skosana
In addition to these, there are other categories of people who play an important role in the success of the group. They include the following personalities:
- Shimmy Jiyane is also a conductor, choreographer and dancer. He is a founding member of the group.
- Mulalo Mulovhedzi is the general manager and bassist of the group.
- Diniloxolo Ndlakuse is musical director, tenor, keyboardist.
- Mary Mulovhedzi is a director.
- Beverly Bryer is a producer / director.
- Mazwe Shabalala is a local conductor, associate choreographer and choirmaster, bass and dancer.
A detailed list of nominees for the SAMA Awards 2020
READ ALSO: ‘The Devil Got Me’: Kanye West Tells Students Jesus Saved His Life
The group has collaborated with many artists, including:
- AndrÃ© Rieu
- Angelique Kidjo
- Annie lennox
- Baaba Evil
- Bala Brothers
- Baby Wynans
- To be
- Celine Dion
- Chance the rapper
- Chris Martin (Coldplay)
- Danny k
- Die Heuwels Fantasies
- Diana ross
- Dorothy Masuka
- Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)
- Elvis Blue
- Eric Wainaina
- Freshly ground
- Harlem Gospel Choir
- Howza and omen
- Hugh masekela
- Jennifer hudson
- John legend
- Johnny clegg
- Josh groban
- Judith Sephuma
- Karen zoid
- Kylie minogue
- Kwela tebza
- Keri hilson
- Kirk franklin
- Kurt darren
- Lloyd Cele
- Paul ruske
- Pierre Gabriel
- PJ Powers
- Papa Wemba
- Pharrell williams
- Ray phiri
- Red hot peppers
- Robert Plant
- Salif KeÃ¯ta
- Simphiwe dana
- Sipho Mabuse
- Vusi Mahlahsela
- Yvonne chaka chaka
READ ALSO: Complete list of Grammy Award winners and nominees in South Africa
Bio of President Emmerson Mnangagwa: He introduced new freedoms after Mugabe’s tyranny
- In 2003, the choir won its first prize, a Helpmann Award for Best Contemporary Music Concert. The same year, they won the American Gospel Music Award for Best choir and Best international choir.
- In 2007, the group won a SAMA Prize (South African Music Association Prize) in the Best Performing Arts DVD Category. They also won a Metro FM Music Prize for Best Gospel Album for African spirit.
- In 2008, the group won the PanSALB Award for Multilingualism and Nation Building for Album of the decade.
- During the 61st Grammy Awards (2018), the choir won the World’s Best Music Album for Freedom.
- In 2009, the group won a SAMA Prize (South African Music Awards) for Best Duo or Group.
- During the 53rd Grammy Awards (2010), Soweto Gospel Choir was nominated under the Best Contemporary World Music Album category for Live at the Nelson Mandela Theater.
- In April 2012, the group was honored with the award first prize for international excellence to SAMA.
- In 2011, the choir won a Emmy Award for ESPN 2010 FIFA World Cup music promos.
- In the 50th Grammy Awards (2007), the group won the World’s Best Traditional Music Album for African spirit.
- In 2018, the group won its 5th SAMA (South African Music Prize) for the album Symphonic Soweto.
- During the 49th Annual Grammy Awards (2006), the group won the World’s Best Traditional Music Album Price for Blessed.
Interesting facts about the life of Sfiso Ncwane
Songs of the Soweto Gospel Choir
Much like Simunye Male Chorus, the band is famous for releasing some of the best gospel songs in SA. Some of the choir’s most popular songs include:
- Siyabonga Jesus
- Ke Na Le Modisa
- amazing Grace
- Modimo – The Soweto Gospel Choir Modimo song has awesome lyrics that uplift the soul. The song is part of the band’s African Spirit album.
- Avulekile Amasango / A love
- Nkosi Sikelel’iAfrika
- Seteng sediba
- Noyana – The group performed the Soweto Gospel Choir Noyana song as part of their Blessed concert in 2005.
Soweto Gospel Choir Albums
The band is popular in the South African gospel music industry, and this is due to their consistency, catchy lyrics and fantastic rhythm. All of these are evident in their songs. Here is a list of the band’s popular albums:
Best of Imbewu: seed teasers for December 2019
- Voices from heaven
- African spirit – The Soweto Gospel Choir African spirit is a 19 track album released on January 30, 2007.
- Live at the Nelson Mandela Theater
- Divine Decade: Celebration of 10 years
- Freedom – The Soweto Gospel Choir Freedom The album was released on September 14, 2018 under Shanachie Records.
- Symphonic Soweto: Homage to Nelson Mandela
Soweto Gospel Choir Tour 2020
The choir’s 2020 New Zealand tour has been canceled. The tour, baptized Freedom Tour 2020 in New Zealand, was set for March 2020, but it was canceled due to travel restrictions imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Soweto Gospel Music Choir is a very talented group with members of varying abilities. When all of their strength is brought together, the result is a climax of pure joy in the form of excellent music and beautiful lyrics.
Here’s why Palesa Madisakwane’s relationship fell apart and more
- Joyous Celebration invites guests to the studio, wows Mzansi with talent
- Moozlie and church choir sing DJ Zinhle’s Umlilo during worship
- Ndlovu Youth Choir’s “Silent Night” in 6 languages ââis simply beautiful